Thu, Apr 02|
8820 W Squaw Lake Rd
Intro to Quilting Fiber Art Workshop with Toni Bergeon (2)
4 Days, 3 nights of art instruction by the award-winning fiber artist Toni Bergeon situated at the beautiful lakefront cabin or main lodge of Birch Trail Resort. This intro to fiber art quilting will introduce the novice to the technique of designing beautiful pieces of art using fibers.
Time & Location
Apr 02, 2020, 4:00 PM – Apr 05, 2020, 2:00 PM
8820 W Squaw Lake Rd, 8820 W Squaw Lake Rd, Lac Du Flambeau, WI 54538, USA
About the event
This amazing event is back again by popular demand. Toni Bergeon is an award-winning artists, member of Studio Art Quilters Association and a life-long lover of the colors and textures found in nature. Her attention to detail and love of color shines bright in her artwork. Her teaching style allows novice artists to grasp the techniques she teaches with ease.
Join Toni at the Birch Trail Resort Bed & Breakfast for a 4 day, 3 night workshop. Day 1 allows the ladies time to arrive and get settled in. Day 2-4 will have direct instruction with Toni. Experience this beautiful lakefront cabin or main lodge sleeping accommodations with a gorgeous workshop surrounded by windows with a natural northwoods view.
What will be covered:
Day One - Color & Fusing Workshop
- How to select fabrics to make your quilts pop
- How to use double sized fusibles
- How to create fused backgrounds for any applique or as stand-alone quilts
- How to build a quilt from the backing to the top, quilting as you go, finished size 9" x 11"
- Quilting Tips
- How to Selevt the right binding - four different options
Day Two - Introduction to Landscape Quilting
Instruction in the morning; work or playtime or questions in the afternoon; 30 minute trunk show demonstrating some of the topics listed below.
Opportunity to translate a favorite landscape photo into a wall quilt or students may choose to make one of two quilts (templates provided), using the fusing techniques learned on Day One. One of the quilt choices will be the Painted Turtle shown here. The other will be a Lake Superior landscape. Students using their own photos have the option to email me a copy of the photo ahead of time to make sure it will not be too much for the timeframe or to get fabric suggestions.
Day Three - Half-Day Workshop on Improving Your Machine Quilting
Get more comfortable with machine quilting! For the first hour, students will complete a machine quilting exercise (provided) and get some tips on improving machine quilting. The second hour, students will assemble a small table topper and spend the remaining time machine quilting the table topper, finishing it off with a tricolored satin stitch binding. Students will bring nine 5 ½” batik squares, a 16” backing and batting, and basic sewing supplies. Familiarity with sewing machine required
Accommodation Details and What to Bring
• Each cabin can accommodate 3—4 ladies. Your cabin is immaculately clean with comfortable mattresses, fresh linens, fully equipped kitchen with full refrigerator, stove, microwave, coffee makers, and all dishes, pots and pans and serve ware.
• Workshop has task and overhead lighting with no florescent bulbs, irons and ironing boards, large cutting table, 8foot work tables with 2 per table, comfortable task chairs, side accessory tables, microwave, full refrigerator, dry bar with stools for eating area, soft seating sitting area with large screen tv—can play background music, movies, etc. Fireplace, bathroom, coin operated washer and dryer, and WiFi, .
• You also have access to the main lodge living room—ideal for hand sewing/needlework in comfort or just taking a break.
• Bring—food for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Sewing machine and all accessories and tools you typically use when quilting.
Per Person Pricing
Three nights four days, instructor lead classes (see program details), sharing accommodations in 1 of our 3 cabins (see details on cabins below and in description of classes) $97.00 per night plus tax x 3 nights = $291.00 per person, plus Occupancy tax of 4% and sales tax of 5.5%.
$180.00 due at time of reservation. Remaining balance due at check-in - cash or check only.
Deposit will be retained for any cancellation. Registrant is able to transer their reservation to another to avoid losing deposit.
About the Instructor Toni Bergeon
"I consider myself a storyteller. My artwork is inspired by nature and a love of the outdoors and often based upon a photo I have taken. Growing up on a lake in northern Wisconsin triggered a life long passion for the colors and textures found in nature. The common threads in my art pieces are an attention to detail, a love of color, depth and dimension. My love of traveling and taking photographs is a constant source of ideas for fabric wall art that hopefully reflects an appreciation of our natural world and provides joy to the viewer. There are endless embellishments that add texture and interest; I especially love to use fabric ink pencils and pens, thread painting and beadwork. Whether realistic or abstract, I hope my artwork encourages people to go outside and play. As an award winning quilter, I am appreciative of the challenge of entering shows but find the most satisfaction in sharing techniques with others. I teach workshops in monoprinting, sun printing, landscapes, color, fusing and machine quilting. I have studied with a multitude of nationally known fiber artists and exhibit regularly with the fiber art group, I am a member of Studio Art Quilters Association (SAQA), a national organization."